Match: Belgium vs England
Competition: FIFA World Cup 2018 Third Place Play-off
Time / Date: 17:00h / 14 July 2018
Venue: Saint-Petersburg Stadium.
Belgium vs England Prediction
- Belgium to win at 2.20 with Betfair
Belgium vs France Correct Score Prediction
- Belgium 3:2 at 20.00
Belgium vs France Anytime goalscorer
- Harry Kane anytime goalscorer at 1.90
- Romelu Lukau anytime goalscorer at 2.20
Just before the final at this World Cup 2018 at Russia, England will meet Belgium second time at this summer in a battle for third place.
We will analyze and give our predictions for Belgium vs England.
Belgium vs England Match Preview
Both sides have been disappointed with their opponents in the semifinals, the leader in the Belgium squad Eden Hazard said that he will play for this losing Belgium side than this defensive France team.
Same was with Courtois that he admits he will be glad Brazil to beat them just before this round.
In last games for England and Belgium, their opponents didn’t beat in soccer way and managed to slip them. The Three Lions take the lead after five minutes of play where Trippier scored amazing free-kick and at this World Cup that has become England trademark.
If Gareth Southgate’s players have realized all of their chance at first half, the game will go in other direction. But that doesn’t happen and Peresic showed them how is supposed to do and with 20 minutes to played the was equalized.
In regular time Croatia record another draw after they have been a goal down and that was their third AET, but Mandzukic scored an amazing goal after Walker, Maguire and Stones have lost their concentrations.
For the Red Devils in this game, Thomas Meunier is back and that will give a chance for Manchester City star to go up-front where he belongs, in last game against France we’ve seen their main problem was that only Hazard try to do something interesting up-front and that wasn’t enough. De Bruyne was a way too far from the attacking third and his role was more like a deep-lying playmaker.
Belgium have lost only two of their 26 games under Roberto Martinez – his primary in charge in September 2016 (0-2 vs Spain) and his most modern (0-1 vs France in the semi-final).
At World Cup, Belgium have five wins and one loss with 14 goals scored to just six conceded.
England have too produced a surprisingly solid period this World Cup – their best for 28 years. Their record of four wins and two losses (including extra-time and a penalty shootout), with 12 goals scored and six conceded, has been a decent return from such a young and inexperienced squad. Coincidentally, the Three Lions’ only loss during 90 minutes was to Belgium (1-0) during the group stages.
Belgium vs England Team News
- Belgium did not go to extra-time in their semi-final and Roberto Martinez may not feel the need to bring in fresh legs.
- Thomas Meunier will start on Saturday after missing out against France due to suspension.
Belgium Predicted Lineup: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Meunier, Chadli, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku
- Gareth Southgate may look to ring some changes ahead of England’s bronze match against Belgium.
- Jordan Henderson, Kieran Trippier and Kyle Walker are all doubts for the Three Lions and only the latter may start.
- Some of England’s fringe players will look for a run out after England went to extra-time against Croatia on Wednesday.
England Predicted Lineup: Pickford, Jones, Stones, Maguire, Alexander-Arnold, Rose, Dier, Alli, Lingard, Sterling, Kane
Belgium vs England Stats
- Belgium and England are the first teams to face twice at a World Cup tournament since Turkey played Brazil twice at the 2002 World Cup.
- Belgium have played in this fixture once before, finishing fourth in 1986 after losing 4-2 against France.
- Belgium have lost just two of their 26 matches under Roberto Martinez – his first in charge in September 2016 (0-2 vs Spain) and his most recent (0-1 vs France in the semi-final).
- England had 15 shots on target in their first two 2018 World Cup matches against Tunisia (8) and Panama (7) but have had just eight in their four games since – exactly two in each match.
- England’s only other match in a World Cup third-place play-off match was at the 1990 World Cup – they faced Italy and lost 2-1.
- Striker Romelu Lukaku has scored 23 goals in his 23 appearances under Roberto Martinez for Belgium, though he’s not scored in any of his last three. He’s never gone four games without a goal for the national side since the Spaniard has been in charge.
- Harry Kane has had just one shot on target in his last three World Cup matches – his penalty goal against Colombia in the Last 16. Kane hasn’t had a shot on target in his last four hours and 33 minutes of action at the World Cup.
- England’s defeat to Croatia in their last match was their 100th competitive defeat – each of their last six competitive defeats have been at major tournaments (five at the World Cup, one at the European Championships).
- England have kept just one clean sheet from their six WC matches in Russia.
- Four of Belgium’s six WC matches in Russia have seen over 2.5 goals scored (total).
- The last two meetings between the sides have both finished 1-0 (one win each).
- Three out of Belgium’s six Russia 2018 matches and four of England’s six have seen both sides score.
Belgium vs England Head-to-head
England have a positive head to head record with Belgium in spite of losing the group-stage tie two weeks ago at Kaliningrad Stadium.
It was an affair which saw both Roberto Martinez and Gareth Southgate rest their main stars as Adnan Januzaj made the difference with an accurately-taken shot right after the interval.
Before the mentioned clash, it’s been six years since these two last locked horns. England won 1-0 in a friendly back in June 2012.
Overall, the Three Lions have three wins, two draws and two losses in seven games against the Red Devils.
Belgium vs England Prediction
If we look at the last couple of third place matches in the years we will find out that most of them have seen lots of goals.
Here we can bet on that and for the final winner I will trust Belgium they have more experience squad and that will help them to beat the young squad of Gareth Southgate.
Belgium vs England Betting Tips
- Belgium to win – BET 10$ and win 22$ with Betfair
- Over 3.5 Match Goals – BET 10$ and win 25$ with Betfair