Match: Sweden vs Switzerland
Competition: FIFA World Cup Round of 16
Time / Date: 17:00h / 3 July 2018
Venue: Saint-Petersburg Stadium
Sweden and Switzerland are arranged to fight each other in a low-profile last 16 round tie at the World Cup in Russia.
Sweden vs Switzerland Match Preview
Sweden have shown great mentality after Toni Kroos late goal, they’ve shown great attitude to beat Mexico 3:0 and in that game, we’ve seen the best of their counter-attacking football that killed a team like Italy.
The Blue-Yellow topped their group with teams like Mexico, Germany and South Korea and now they will Switzerland, can Scandinavians go through them?
- Before scoring three against Mexico, Sweden had gone 11 games without scoring two or more goals.
Swiss are better team for sure and they didn’t show their full potential till now, after a draw against Selecao in first games, they didn’t manage to impress in next two and record a hard win over Serbia where they’ve struggled to stop Mitrovic and poor draw versus Costa Rica (2:2).
After they’ve finished the group with two draws and one win Nati hold the second place. They are still unbeaten in nine games and the impressive around them is that they have only one loss from Portugal (2:0) since World Cup qualification game back to 2016 again versus Portugal but this time Swiss won 2:0 (15W,4D,1L).
- Nine of the 11 athletes that started in Switzerland’s first match facing Brazil also started in their Round-of-16 loss at Euro 2016.
- All of Switzerland’s matches in this World Cup have observed both teams score, in contrast to only two of their previous ten.
Sweden vs Switzerland Head-to-head
The sides haven’t met since 2002 when they drew 1-1 in a friendly match. Overall the h2h is pretty balanced, with both teams having won 10 times versus the other. Sweden are unbeaten in their last three games facing Switzerland while the Swiss’ last triumph appeared in October 1994 in a Euro qualifier in Bern (4-2) under Roy Hodgson.
Sweden vs Switzerland Team News
- Sebastian Larsson is out for this game and maybe World Cup has come to end for him, while Gustav Svensson is expected to take his place.
- Albin Ekdal, Viktor Claesson and Mikael Lustig are all one booking away from a ban.
Olsen, Lustig, Lindelof, Grandqvist, Augustinsson, Claesson, Svensson, Ekdal, Forsberg, Berg, Toivonen
- Stephan Lichtsteiner and Fabian Schar are both suspended.
- Steven Zuber is doubtful.
- Denis Zakaria, Valon Behrami and Xherdan Shaqiri are all one booking away from suspension.
Sommer, Lang, Djourou, Akanji, Rodriguez, Behrami, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Dzemalli, Embolo, Gavranovic
Sweden vs Switzerland Predictions
Both teams came here after hard group games, as we already mentioned Sweden are a very defensive minded side but Switzerland are not the same with conceding in every game till now and scoring at least one.
At the end, I expect The Blue-Yellow to dictate the tempo of the game and to be the final winner here.
Sweden will start in a slow tempo and look for goals in second half, that is why my prediction here is draw at halftime and final winner to be Sweden plus Under 2.5 Match Goals.
Sweden vs Switzerland Betting Tips