Match: Brazil vs Mexico
Competition: FIFA World Cup Round of 16
Time / Date: 17:00h / 2 July 2018
Venue: Samara Arena, Samara.
Brazil will go head-to-head with Mexico in the first game this Monday at Samara Arena, Neymar will try to push his team to next round with another amazing performance but surely The Tricolor’s will not give the win that easy. Read below our betting predictions and match preview plus news around the teams.
Brazil vs Mexico Match Preview
Brazil didn’t start in a flying manner this tournament after 1:1 draw against Switzerland and a late win over Costa Rica with two goals in injury time. But in last game versus Serbia, they’ve shown very good performance, where Coutinho showed another perfect performance with an assist to Paulinho who just needed to lob the goalkeeper and that was enough to open the scoreline (Coutinho was involved in three goals from five at this WC for Brazil 2 goals and 1 assist and we can bet on him to score another goal in this game). And after a push from Serbia in first 15 minutes of the second half where Mitrovic miss couple of chances, Neymar manage to record assistance too from corner to Thiago Silva to make it 2:0.
That was enough to Selecao to kill the tempo and finish the group first with seven points and two clean sheets in that period, now they meet very well known side like Mexico. El Tri will test their style of play, which supposed to push up their fullbacks and some of their midfielder (like Paulinho goal in last game), with super counter-attacking football that manages to smash Germany in their opener in this World Cup.
- In six from last eight, Brazil’s game were scored less than three goals.
- They are unbeaten in that period, in fact, they are unbeaten already 14 games with 10 wins and 4 draws in that period. Last time that Tite’s man loses a game was back to June 2017 facing Argentina (0:1).
- Selecao have scored two or more in 15 from last 18 World Cup games.
- The Brazilian in-form players – Coutinho have been involved in three goals from five. His first ever goal for Brazil was against Mexico back to 2015.
Mexico disappoints most of their fans after last game in their group, they’ve started this World Cup with an impressive win over defending champions from Germany and managed to extend that form versus South Korea with a 2:1 win. But in last game, Sweden show them that not only El Tri can counter-attack as a unit.
- Mexico is the team with the most match played at World Cup and still without winning the trophy (56 games, 0 trophies).
Brazil vs Mexico Head-to-head
These two teams are very well known as an opponent, they have met each other five times in last seven years. Brazil have won 3 of those five games and last time out in a game at WC finals (group stage) they have made a goalless draw (0:0) back to 2014 World Cup. In total, they have 40 games and 58% of those wins for Selecao.
Brazil vs Mexico Team News
- Douglas Costa is out injured for this game.
- Both Danilo and Marcelo are doubtful for this clash.
- Casemiro, Neymar and Coutinho are one booking away from a ban.
- Hector Moreno will miss this game after received second yellow card in the game against Sweden.
- Hector Herrera, Miguel Layun and Jesus Gallardo are all one booking away from suspension.
Ochoa, Alvarez, Salcedo, Ayala, Gallardo, Guardado, Herrera, Lozano, Vela, Layun, Hernández
Brazil vs Mexico Prediction
Brazil came here as a clear favourite, but Mexico showed that they are not afraid to play against favourites in the first game facing Germany.
Bookies expect a low scoring affair, but I didn’t expect the same. Selecao are a team that likes to push and control the tempo of the game, that means to have lots of players in opponents third. That is perfect for Mexico and Chicharito, he is a predator when we talk for making a „half-chance to a goal“ and we should expect that from him here.
At the end, Tite’s squad is more classy than Mexico and that was shown in both teams last games in their Groups. Brazil starts slow and steady, while Mexico didn’t manage to keep the good tempo and surely the lost from Sweden will hurt their morale here.
My expectations from this game are to see lots of goals from both sides, but the final winner to be Brazil.
Brazil vs Mexico Betting Tips