Match: Uruguay vs Portugal
Competition: FIFA World Cup Round of 16
Time / Date: 21:00h / 30 June 2018
Venue: Olimpiyskiy Stadion Fisht, Sochi.
The knockout stage operation continues with what should be a perfect thriller. Two-time champions with a deep past, Uruguay, face modern European champions Portugal, with a match versus France or Argentina awaiting the victor.
Uruguay vs Portugal Match Preview
This is the third competition in succession that Uruguay have led the knockout phase, while Portugal’s own sequence represents a stretched upward curve after the nation’s failure to progress in the 2014 World Cup.
Portugal’s last game provides less cause for optimism. As expected, the Euro 2016 winners dominated large portions of their final group game (with Iran) but a VAR-assisted penalty equaliser for Iran can just affect Portuguese self-belief for the worse.
Uruguay vs Portugal Head-to-head
These teams have only met twice previously and not since 1972. The two early meetings saw Portugal win 3-0 in a 1966 friendly while the sides drew 1-1 six years later.
Uruguay vs Portugal Team News
- Oscar Tabarez could ring the changes from the side that beat Russia 3-0.
- Jose Gimenez is set to recover from injury in time to start, while Diego Laxalt and Lucas Torreira are expected to retain their starting spots.
Muslera, Caceres, Gimenez, Godin, Laxalt, Nandez, Torreira, Vecino, Bentancur, Suarez, Cavani
- Fernando Santos could bring Joao Moutinho back into the side at Adrien Silva’s expense in the middle of the park, though he is sweating on the fitness of William Carvalho.
- Ricardo Quaresma and Andre Silva may also keep their spots in the XI with Bernardo Silva and Goncalo Guedes force to settle for a spot on the bench.
- Adrien Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Cedric Soares, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ricardo Quaresma and Raphael Guerreiro are all one booking away from a ban.
Rui Patricio, Guerreiro, Fonte, Pepe, Soares, Mario, Moutinho, Carvalho, Quaresma, Andre Silva, Ronaldo
Uruguay vs Portugal Prediction
The Portuguese conferred rather sloppy displays facing both Morocco and Iran and there is truly not enough about their game that really promises a chance of a deep run in Russia.
They will be up against the rock-solid defensive line of Uruguay’s, while their ageing defence will have to deal with world-class strikers Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez who have both already been on the scoresheet so far in the competition.
But hardly can see a winner here.
Uruguay vs Portugal Betting Tips