Match: Switzerland vs Costa Rica
Competition: FIFA World Cup Group E
Time / Date: 21:00h / 27 June 2018
Venue: Stadion Nizhny Novgorod.
The fight in Group E continues with the impact between Switzerland and Costa Rica.
3 of the teams in the group will try to move forward in the tournament, with only 2 seats available.
Brazil is a leader with 4 points and only a better goal difference than second Switzerland, the third with 3 points is Serbia and the last place held by Costa Rica with 0 points and without a goal scored on the World Cup.
Switzerland vs Costa Rica Match Preview
Switzerland started the tournament with a very tough game in which they record a 1: 1 draw (Coutinho, Zuber). In the second match, they managed to make the first turn around in the tournament after losing in halftime versus Serbia and achieved a complete turn in the result when winning at added time 2:1 (Mitrovic, Xhaka, Shaqiri).
- The Swiss need at least a point to qualify ahead.
- Shakiri managed to bring the 94 ‘Serbian victory to show the character and resilience of his team.
- In the last 6 games, Vladimir Petkovic’s team have scored at least one goal in each of them.
- Apart from extra-time and penalties in 24 consecutive matches, Switzerland has only one loss, six draws and 17 wins
Costa Rica have failed to produce a goal in both World Cup games so far. But the good work at keeping the team and the wonderful appearances of the star of the team Navas failed to win even a point for Los Ticos. In the first game, Costa Rica lost by 1: 0 (Kolarov) from Serbia.
In the second they managed to withstand the attacks of Brazil but in the added time they allowed two hits 2-0 (Coutinho, Neymar).
- Costa Rica have 4 losses in last 5 games, 2 of which are in the World Cup finals.
- In both of their meetings at World Cup, they didn’t allowed a goal in first half.
- Los Ticos have no goal scored at this year’s finals, and the goals chances are not much in number.
- In the last 10 matches, they have no draw (2W, 8L).
- Costa Rica has lost all chances to be ahead after losing to Brazil.
Switzerland vs Costa Rica / H2H – Head-to-Head /
These two teams played two matches with each other.
- In the first in 2006, Switzerland won 2: 0
- The second match ends with a win for Costa Rica 1: 0
Switzerland vs Costa Rica Team News
- Switzerland could cut Haris Seferovic following two fairly ineffective performances, with both Breel Embolo or Mario Gavranovic replacing him.
- Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri are working out as they ready to see whether they’ll be suspended for their provocative celebrations versus Serbia.
Sommer, Lichsteiner, Schar, Akanji, Rodriguez, Behrami, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Dzemaili, Zuber, Gavranovic
- Costa Rica starts with the same XI in both games and here we can expect identical.
Navas, Acosta, Gonzalez, Duarte, Gamboa, Calvo, Guzman, Borges, Venegas, Ruiz, Urena
Switzerland vs Costa Rica Prediction
I expect the match to be at a very low scoring affair.
The team of Switzerland has more classy players who can solve the game at any moment, like in last game Shaqiri did it. Costa Rica will try to save their honour in an attempt to fight for a point. But 4 of the last 5 games for Ramirez’s side, only one team has scored goals, this team is expected to be Switzerland.